Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rex: A Mother, Her Autistic Child, and the Music that Transformed Their Lives

Categories
I just finished reading the book, "Rex: A Mother, Her Autistic Child, and the Music that Transformed Their Lives."

Let me start by saying that I enjoyed reading "Rex." It was a fascinating look into the "real" side of disabilities. The problem that I had is that the book cover states..."A Mother, Her Autistic Child, and the Music that Transformed Their Lives." While this book is indeed about a mother and her child, who happens to be autistic, it is also so much more than that!

Cathleen Lewis chronicles the real, raw emotions that any mother, who learns her child needs major surgery at a few days old, is blind and also exhibits autistic behaviors would experience. I felt was she was feeling when reading "Rex."

Rex is also the story of a mother who refused to give up, refused to back down, dug her heels in and made certain that her son would have the best life, the most enjoyable life that he could.

Rex is the story of a mother who learns to have faith, embrace faith, and like all mothers, learns that it's okay to let go, so that her son can soar...down a steep driveway, across piano keys as the musical savant that he is, bombing down a mountain on skis, on surfboard catching a waves.

Hats off to you, Cathleen Lewis, and your son, Rex!

I received a free copy of the book, "Rex: A Mother, Her Autistic Child, and the Music that Transformed Their Lives" from the Thomas Nelson Publishing copy. In return for this book, it was asked that I read and publish a review of the book.
Posted by The Spears Family at 4:13 PM

1 comments:

Lori on 16.3.09 said...

Sounds like a pretty amazing book (I'm sure I'd cry a lot). Autism affects so many, and I'm sure this would be great for a parent of an autistic child to read.

There's a book called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, about autism and family effects that I thought was really moving.

lkziegler[at]gmail[dot]com

 

Bloggymom Reviews Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Emocutez