Sunday, May 2, 2010

Geocaching - I'm Ready!

Categories
Now that's you've read my other posts on Geocaching, and know the basics, you're ready to get started right? Here' you'll learn what you need to get started and then, GO HAVE FUN!

How do I get started?
First, you’ll need a GPS. This is your only major investment in the activity. If you have a newer auto GPS, check your users manual or the manufacturer’s website to see if you can manually enter your coordinates. If so, you’re set. Any GPS that will allow you to manually enter coordinates is fine to start with. When we first started, we used a Garmin nuvi 265w. This was great for the first couple of months while we learned more about the sport and got our feet wet. Eventually though, we upgraded to a handheld device. We use the Delorme Earthmate PN-30 which is AWESOME! The readings are much more accurate than the Garmin. I will say that we still use the Garmin to guide us to the general location of the cache, but the Delorme becomes the primary GPS as soon as we exit the vehicle.

Aside from a GPS, the only other thing you will need to get started is a membership at http://www.geocaching.com/. You can sign up for basic membership for free or become a premium member for $30 a year. Premium membership will allow you to organize geocache listings, create favorites, create custom searches, and receive email or mobile notifications re: newly published caches. You can also create a caches route for your next road trip with a premium membership.

Anything else I need to know?
Geocachers practice something called CITO which stands for Cache In, Trash Out. Basically, if you see trash in the area where you are geocaching, pick it up and throw it away.

Geocaching has many terms and acronyms. You can read more about these here.

Please post a comment and let me know how it goes! Also, check back for more posts including cool cache containers we've seen and a giveaway!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Posted by The Spears Family at 9:51 AM

5 comments:

Shannon on 11.5.10 said...

I have been wanting to try geocaching for awhile now. Thanks for all the tips and tricks. :) I think my little boys would get a kick out of it and I like that it makes hiking have more of a purpose/reward at the end! I'll let you know how we make out.

CJ Sime on 18.5.10 said...

I've heard about this. I know my nephews would LOVE to do something like this. I am forwarding this post to my sister!

Giveaway Lover on 18.5.10 said...

How fun! I;ve known some folks who do this. I wish I had more time and I would love to get into it! shadygrove79 at aol dot com

CC on 22.5.10 said...

I think this is something I could love when my kids are older. If I even have some extra time like in the summer or something...

speechforme at gmail

Ardy22 on 23.5.10 said...

I have some friends that do this and they do a lot of traveling and fun with it.

ardy22 at earthlink dot net

 

Bloggymom Reviews Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Emocutez