Sunday, May 23, 2010

My First Solo Geocaching Adventure

Categories
I'm going to take just a moment to brag on myself. Typically I wouldn't do this, but I am so excited and SO proud of myself! Though my family has been geocaching for almost a year and we have over 1000 finds, the only time I ever go out to cache my husband is always with me. This has always been his gig, with me being the sidekick.

Last week, however, I had to make a trip to an area we rarely travel and noticed that there were several caches along my route. Ten to be exact. I decided I'd go for it, so I read the descriptions for each cache on geocaching.com and decided that I would try to find 9 of them (the tenth had too many logs about ants for me to attempt alone.) I mapped out my route, with a print out of each cache description, the coordinates, and put them in the order i would encounter them along my route. And then, feeling a bit nervous and also excited, I set off.

I was using the Garmin nuvi b/c I didn't feel like my training on the Delorme was up to par, but the GPS was quite cooperative that day. Thanks to all the hunting I've gone on with my husband, I found 8 of the 9 very quickly after arriving at ground zero.

Only one of the 9 caches eluded me. I tried it on the trip down and couldn't find it. The clue I had made no sense to me either. I decided to continue my journey and try it again on my way back. Still no luck. I sent my husband a message, who encouraged me to think outside the box and try again.

I decided I should take a break so I grabbed a quick snack at the local McDonald's. While I ate, I thought about the cache. I really had two options here. I could give up and go home. On a first solo outing, 8 finds of 9 isn't a bad start. Or, I could eat, rejuvenate and try again. If I went home defeated, at least I could say I gave it my best. So for the third time that day, I drove over to the cache site.

With a clear head and a full stomach, I walked to spot my GPS directed, took off my sunglasses and within 90 seconds had an "ah ha" moment. I walked right to the cache, retrieved it, signed the log and was on my way! (By the way, even after I found the cache, I never understood the clue.)

I did it! I found NINE caches! By myself! My first day out! With the nuvi, nonetheless! Needless to say, I was elated! Have you ever experienced a moment where you almost admitted defeat, but instead decided to push on to sweet success? I'd love to hear about it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Posted by The Spears Family at 5:16 PM

2 comments:

PinkPetunias on 11.6.10 said...

way to go. i have read about that in the past and thought it sounded like a ton of fun. now, i know it is. :)

The Teacher's Wife on 25.10.10 said...

Found you thru Pitch it to Me (reviewing Alexa....daunting task :) and am SO glad that I found you- because we love geocaching too!! We actually took our (long saved for!!) 2nd honeymoon to niagara falls this summer specifically to go geocaching up there!! Our 2 little boys LOVE caching!! Glad to see a fellow friend!
Crystal (AKA the Teachers Wife)
survivingateacherssalary.blogspot.com

 

Bloggymom Reviews Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Emocutez